Plants For A Future : Plant Species Database Internet Download
There are five versions of the database that you can download , all contain the same data, it's only the interface which is different. The Plant Species Database Internet Download has the same information as the CD ROM.
The five database versions of the Species Database are:
- Standalone version. Runs on Windows PCs (not tested on Windows 7). Uses a run time version of Access which is included.
- A Microsoft Access 2.0 version. Runs on all windows PC's, but requires you have a copy of Microsoft Access 2. Does not currently run under Windows Vista, Windows 7 untested. Allows you to create your own queries.
- A Microsoft Access 7 version. Runs on all Windows PC's, but requires you have a copy of Microsoft Access 7. Allows you to create your own queries.
- A Microsoft Access 2000 version. Runs on all Windows PC's, but requires you have a copy of Microsoft Access 2000. Allows you to create your own queries.
- Ascii text version. Just the data as plain ascii text. You should be able to import this into most database packages. Includes scripts for easy importation into MySQL.
You have the option to download the 28 page digital User Manual with full instructions and a glossary of the all the different terms used. The User Manual explains all the above versions.
You can pay for the Internet Download either as a Standard Home User, Low Income User, or Commercial User. The CD ROM is the same in all cases.
Standard Home Edition
£40 (approx. $60 USD)
Please note the copyright conditions below still apply with this version (the commercial edition is for use in a commercial setting, for example an office, but cannot be used in or as a commercial product for sale or distribution etc).
£120 (approx. $180 USD)
Low Income/Unwaged Edition
£16 (approx. $24 USD)
This database and supporting literature is Copyright (c) 1992-2010 Plants For A Future and Ken Fern. The database is covered by a Creative Commons licence: (attribution required, non-commercial, share-alike)
This basically means:
- You are allowed to use it at home or work however you wish.
- If you wish to redistribute the information in anyway (i.e. factsheets included with plants, or mirroring the database on you website) you must adhere to the following conditions (see license condition above for precise legal statement):
1. That you give full attribution to Plants For A Future. On websites this means you must retain prominent links to Plants for a Future.
2. It cannot be used for commercial purposes. For nurseries, herbalists etc you can supply printed info sheets if you make a donation. Please contact us for details. If you wish to use the database on a commercial website, including advertising driven websites, then please contact us for more details.
3. We wish to adhere to OpenSource/ShareAlike principals, where information is accessible to all. For that reason the standard license adopts the share-alike principal and any additions, corrections, representations etc. to the database must be made available under a creative commons license of the same kind. In particular we would appreciate that any information added is shared with us so that we can keep the main data source as up to date as possible.
- Due of Microsoft license restrictions you may not redistribute the Microsoft Access runtime components (all files in the standalone access version bar the plantuse.mdb file and the documentation).